Friday, April 23, 2010

Birthing at Home

Why do I want to birth at home? There are lots of reasons that people give birth at home. But the main reasons is more of a logical process for me. I really wanted someone to catch my baby who I would get to know at more of a personal level than a doctor. There are lots of midwife groups up here that deliver at hospitals, but even then, you don't know who will be there to catch and coach you through the labor and they don't get there until right before you have the baby, as well. That's why I chose a birthing center. I would get to meet my midwife, have an appt with her for an hour every month (and more as it gets closer) and be guaranteed that she be the one to catch this baby girl.
Then the more I thought about the birthing center in comparison to my house, the more I realized how ridiculous it will be to get my laboring ass in the car just to drive to a location that has nothing more than my house (besides it being cleaner and having a big tub). Also, birthing centers kick you out of their house 4-6 hours after delivering because they want to get you home in bed with your new babe as soon as possible. So thinking about getting up, getting back in the car and climbing my steps to bedroom right after I have a (probably) big baby come out of my va-jay-jay doesn't sound appealing.
Also, it's a scientific fact that laboring women progress faster in a comfortable environment.
There are many other reasons why women choose to give birth at home, but these are the main reasons that I'm choosing it. I'm super excited. And nervous about the pain. But mostly excited.

3 comments:

  1. Whooopeee. It's official then?! Seriously, have you looked into hypnobabies???? You still have time to do the course. And most people think of hypnosis as not having control of your thoughts and actions, but this just allows you to take yourself to another place mentally...you are always in control. It also allows you to stop viewing birth as painful. I know this may sound crazy, but I can honestly say that my birth with MaKenna was not painful (well until pushing which sucked b/c I had back labor). With Parker (who was also a homebirth) I was SCREAMING and MaKenna was hardly a peep ;-) Just saying ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading hypnobirthing right now but haven't looked into hypnobabies.

    Not official. Still talking about it with my man. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are going to do great. I believe in you 100%!

    ReplyDelete